When people attempt to access library content on campus, they hit an authentication page that prompts them to log in with their UW-Stout credentials to verify that they have paid access to the content. When trying to access the same material off-campus, that authentication page may not appear, and instead the person who wants access will just see an access denied page or a page asking for payment.
By running the URL of an article through our generator it adds redirect information for the authentication page, so that when the link is clicked on, the user will be prompted to log in and gain access to the content.
Use the Article Link Generator to create links to articles in library databases that can be added to Canvas courses. To create a link you must find the persistent, or stable, URL assigned to the article. Copy and paste the persistent URL into the box below. Click GO to generate a new URL that will work on and off campus for those with a UW-Stout account. This new URL can be pasted into Canvas, web pages, emails, etc., and will prompt users for a UW-Stout login to connect to articles.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.How do I know if a persistent link will work from outside the UW-Stout campus?
2. What is the Off-Campus Access Link Generator?
3. Why can't I just copy the address from the address bar to save a link to an article?
4. What is the persistent or permanent link? This is a URL that will remain stable over time and allows a user to access the linked document later. A persistent link may be referred to as Permanent, Durable, Jumpstart, Stable URL or Digital Object Identifier (DOI) Name.
5. How do I find persistent links in online databases?
6. How do I make persistent links to e-books?